8.26.2009

Magical Mystery Tour

So today Jacquie and I adventured out into East Edinburgh in search of the elusive Tyne Castle Stadium, the home of the Hearts Football club! To tell you the truth I was less then thrilled to be dragging my butt out into the middle of no where to see a stadium without actually going to see a match... but nevertheless I trekked along and there were a couple of things that I learned in my trekkage (if thats a word)...

1. Jacquie is useless with directions... if she didn't already know her way to and from class I would be seriously reconsidering leaving her here! I attempted to let her navigate our way there (because at the beginning she was doing very well) but soon enough I was busting out the map and using my skills at direction... and without divulging to much detail
s.... we made it there! But I must hand it to her, Edinburgh is an impossibly complicated city when attempting to navigate strictly by street name! Knowing your beginning spot and finishing spot on a map is far easier then taking street by street instructions!

2. The east end of Edinburgh is unlike Old and New town! Its dodgy and odd!
Its not like the end of the world, but going from the beautiful landscapes of Edinburgh Castle, the Flodden Wall, and cobblestone streets to high rises, western like convenience stores and highways its a tad bit of a readjustment! And to be honest, traveling by car parks (parking lots) and suburban homes in overcast weather just makes it extremely unappealing!

3. Your not the only tourists around! This fact was reaffirmed by the appearance of two girls with maps out looking terribly lost! As Jacquie and I sat on a bench taking a breather (yes we act like old people time to time) these two girls walked by once then quickly walked by again with looks of determination that they were certain (if of nothing else) that that was not the way in which they wished to be traveling!

4. Now number four is something that I should have known before but it was merely reaffirmed in the "trek." Scottish weather is MESSED up! It is unpredictable, and even if you think that you might be cold and so you bring a coat it doesn't mean that you will actually need it! The only things that you can be entirely sure of is rain and wind!

All in all, I'm glad that we adventured out that far. It was a good experience seeing other parts of the city and also the exercise couldn't have done me any harm! But you better believe me when I say that my pint of Carlsberg that I drank upon arriving back at home was well deserved!

No comments:

Post a Comment